Extreme Web Surfs!
Friday, August 20, 2004
 
HERMITS



Well, it's Friday evening, and I've just had one of those weeks where I tried to please people - or just get along with them - with very little success. So I've decided to indulge myself in an eremitical fantasy. Just me, the woods, a still out back, maybe a blowup doll for company..

The Hermitary - best overall site for anything to do with hermits!

The Maronite Hermits - out in the desert, a nice choice..

Text of Charles Kingley's classic, The Hermits

Robert the Hermit - a black man who escaped slavary in the south, and became a hermit in Seekonk, MA, the very next town over from me..

Julian of Norwich - a female hermit - anchoress, really - who was also one of the foremost medieval mystics..

Ravensbread - nice articles on the solitary life..

And finally, if you are on your way to the solitary life, but still feel the need to relate to some kindred spirits, you might want to investigate the Anti Social Club..

Solitude is not something you must hope for in the future. Rather, it is a deepening of the present and unless you look for it in the present you will never find it.
Thomas Merton

Powered by Blogger