Extreme Web Surfs!
Tuesday, July 20, 2004
 
VARIED
 
Just stuff I like...
 
Louise Brooks Society - interesting, well-done site devoted to this silent film actress, who was the quintessential icon of the 'flapper' era..
 
Interactive Electric Chair - you pull the switch on a murderer here..
 
The Archive of Misheard Lyrics  (e.g. did Hendrix REALLY say, 'scuse me, while I kiss this guy..' ?)
 
Gravikord Site - I admire anyone who invents their own instrument, and then a genre to go along with it. This an elctronic 9 string polyphonic harp type thing..
 
Dallas Progressive Christian Music Radio - listen live!
 
Culture Jamming
 
A sort of lighthearted anarchist pastime, it seems...
 
Billboard Liberation Front
 
Adbusters - Culture Jamming Central
 
Changing the Climate - tag an SUV with one of these!
 
Great Unwieldy Novels!
 
Andrei Biely's "St.Petersburg"  ... sort of like Joyce's "Ulysses", but possibly much better..
 
Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow" .. I first got into this one at about 14, and dug it for the kinky sex. A few years later, it was the drugs and 'anti-war' message. Then later it was the ruminations on history and the place of the individual therein. Now I don't know WHAT I read it for, but it still comes off my shelf quite often..
 
David Foster Wallace's 'Infinite Jest' .. the most recent one here, a book you could use as a small table. Pynchon is often mentioned as an influence. What I like is that much of it's byzantine plot is set in AA meetings and sober houses in the Massachusetts area. Been there, done that, and he captures not only the tone, but the upbeat nihilism of a Boston burnout!
 
Finally, what in my opinion is one of the 5 best books ever written, and the next thing after the Bible I'd bring to MY desert island. Thomas Mann's 'The Magic Mountain'  has not even made some recent 'best 100 novels' lists that get bandied about the blogging world ad nauseum. Well, all the more reason for me to feel secure in my contempt of contemporary culture. This book has it all: philosophy, spirituality, mysticism, sickness and death, love and eroticism, friendship and hate, the bourgeois and the radical, coming of age and the coming of AN age, the entire 20th century was predicted in it, and perhaps all the way to the end of the world. If you have not read it at least twice, you're cheating yourself.
 

A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say.
Italo Calvino, 1981


Powered by Blogger