Extreme Web Surfs!
Sunday, May 23, 2004
 
SOME LONELY PLACES



'L'enfer c'est les autres', says Sartre. 'Hell is other people.' I don't know if I go that far into misanthropy. Yet as I wrap up another 'too short' weekend, and prepare to return to a small room for another five days with three people whom fate threw me together with either as a joke or a punishment, my imagination drifts towards places where one can be REALLY lonely..

Mount Elgon, Kenya's second highest, qualifies..

as does the aptly named Nullarbor Plain in southern Australia..

Going 1500 KM south, we come to the delightful MacQuarrie Island.. (this is yet another example of the truly fine websites the Australian government has set up. I've said it many times, I'm wicked impressed, and I'm no Crocodile Dundee groupie either..)

There's even a nicely functioning Webcam on the island!

Hindu Magazine somehow found the Yapashi ruins of northern New Mexico to be a great and lonely place. Thoughtful article here..

And finally, Britain's loneliest island - St. Kilda

Oh, for a lodge in some vast wilderness, Some boundless contiguity of shade, Where rumour of oppression and deceit, Of unsuccessful or successful war, Might never reach me more!

William Cowper

Powered by Blogger