Extreme Web Surfs!
Saturday, May 15, 2004
 
LOVECRAFTIANA



As I was driving past Swan Point Cemetery tonight, on my way home from a concert in Providence, it struck me that I haven't featured its most illustrious denizen, H.P.Lovecraft, in quite some time.

Read a scholarly article about him at The Scriptorium..

Read his Works!

Sing hymns to the Great Old Ones!

Found some Lovecraft at Gaslight, which is a fascinating and laudable site in itself..


BEECHAM AND WILLAM TELL

Earlier in the day, I was able to download some performances of the great English conductor, Sir Thomas Beecham, and listen to them. You will often see quotes by Beecham on my blog, as his virtuosity was equalled by his wit. For example, here is a famous anecdote:

"During a rehearsal, he thought that his female soloist was playing less than adequately on her fine Italian cello. He stopped the orchestra and declared: "Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!"

Anyway, if you have Quicktime installed, you can hear a 1 hour and 45 minute concert of rare Beecham performances here..

What I was listening to was that famous warhorse, Rossini's 'William Tell Overture".

(You can get midi versions of that and many other classics here..)

Got me thinking about William Tell. As a child, I had a set of recordings wherein classical music was interspersed with the tales themselves. I remember thrilling to the story of Tell - but was most impressed by the evil Austrian villain, Gessler..

Schiller's play (in English) is here..

Myths and Mythmakers do an in depth study of the legend..

Tell as a tax rebel!

Try everything once - except incest and folk dancing.
Sir Thomas Beecham

Powered by Blogger