Extreme Web Surfs!
Tuesday, January 20, 2004
 
FRACTAL FRENZY



I've encountered these things daily in my surfs through photo gallery sites, like PBase and Webshots. Always thought they looked nifty, but not being much of a mathematician, I nver really knew what they were. Curiosity finally got the better of me, and I've done a bit of research. Glad I did, it's fascinating stuff , which has obsessed many very creative folks!

One might call fractals the geometry of irregularity - irregularity with discernible patterns, nonetheless. That's as far as I'll go, but I'll refer you to this whatis? definition..

Here's another explanation , and some more detail here

Need more points of view? Try here and here..

Benoit Mandelbrot is the person most responsible for the interest in fractals. Here's his official webpage..

The Mandelbrot Set .... with applet and all...

Sarah Egan maintains a great site on many aspects of fractals..

Now for a few folks who do wonderful things with these concepts. You owe it to yourself to have a look..

Ken Keller

Elena

Sekino

Sarah Scotland

How about fractal music?

Finally, build your own here .It really works, and it's really fun!

VARIOUS

Cat Records

Monorails - great site, which includes listings and info about all monorails currently operating..

And, of course, three great graveyard sites:

England

Netherlands (in Dutch or English)

Marblehead, Massachusetts (near me, been there, great example of old Puritan burying ground..)

'The mathematician's best work is art, a high perfect art, as daring as the most secret dreams of imagination, clear and limpid. Mathematical genius and artistic genius touch one another.'

Gösta Mittag-Leffler


Powered by Blogger