Extreme Web Surfs!
Tuesday, December 30, 2003
 
THE RAT RACE!



Rats may be a maligned species, but in doing this little search, I was amazed at the passion with which their devotees defend their choice of pet...hmmm, well I guess they ARE kinda cute..

Fancy Rats

Pet Rat Photos

The Rat's Nest - a great site, particularly as it devotes a lot of space to the older rattus rattus , or "ship's rat" , as well as to the more common rattus norwegicus..

Looking for a more scientific aproach, I reached the relevant section of Walker's Mammals of the World and decided you need to bookmark the whole thing for reference and fun!


MORE MOVIES I LIKE!

I enjoyed reading the discussions , both in comments here by Chelsea, and in Brent's Blog that my "Stinkers" link precipitated. I'm more of a 'classic film' buff myself, I tend to see movies years after everyone else. I've already shared some of my favorites in past postings, here's a few more:

The Producers - this early Mel Brook's film is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Zero Mostel gives a sidesplitting performance as Max Bialystock, a theatrical producer and gigolo extraordinaire!

Strangers on a Train - this seminal Hitchcock vehicle belongs to Robert Walker, whose portrayal of the twisted but charming Bruno Antony is nonpareil. Of course, the carousel scene is one of film's great moments..

Stevenson's 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' has been filmed many times; good history of that here . However, for bizarre eroticism, insanity, and depravity, nothing matches the 1932 version, starring the almost forgotten Fredric March..

Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" 'tour de force' is not out of line here..

"Lawn Dogs" ,which was Mischa Barton's second film outing, is a strange but fascinating flick. Some love it, some hate. I love it, but find it a bit depressing, and there are things I'd change in the storyline. However, it's the type of movie that is hardly ever made in America, much more like something we'd expect from Europe..

James Whale , the director of "Frankenstein" and "Bride of Frankenstein" was a fascinating character. Traumatized WWI veteran, and openly gay, he was one of the greatest. "Gods and Monsters" a film about him, is just superb. It made me cry, even!


COMPUTER HISTORY

One of the amazing things about computers is the way in which historical aeons seem to have been compressed into decades, even years. Let's take a brief look back!

Charles Babbage died in 1871, but people who should know pretty much give him all the credit, so take a look! Here's a second site, as the first seems to be on an unreliable server..

A Timeline of Personal Computers

Like Old Computers? This site's devoted to them!

Read "The History of the Internet"


"The brain is like a muscle. When we think well, we feel good. Understanding is a kind of ecstasy."

Carl Sagan

Powered by Blogger