Extreme Web Surfs!
Saturday, December 27, 2003
 
NOTE ON NEW SIDEBAR LINKS

Well, just a few short days ago, you heard me ranting about not being sucked into the "Blogging Subculture" etc; but like any addiction, it's an insidious progressive thing.. So now I've begun to include links to other blogs (besides Maarten's - his will always occupy a place of honour at the top!), guess I'd better explain..

For awhile, it seemed ludicrous to me to have "sidebar links" in a blog primarily devoted to links to begin with! However, I've realized that the links IN the blog are "content", and the links I'm now adding are more "community". There IS a certain reciprocity which has evolved with the blogging world, and who am I to try to change the rules? I would like to think others will like this blog enough to link to me, and it's only fitting I provide easily accesible links back. Moreover, I've encountered several blogs that are worth visiting, whether they ever notice this one or not.

So, the links to the right will be from one of these categories: 1) Blogs that just impressed me for one reason or another; 2) Blogs and sites with useful info or tools about "blogging" itself. 3) Blogs that link to ME (please make me aware of it), even if they suck! 4) People whose site I mention in the blog, who get back to me with any kind of nice comment or feedback will move up to this permanent place of honor (e.g. Dave Mitchell, Chelsea the Pixie) . OK, now to today's finds!

CARTHUSIANS


Their Official Site

Nice site from a guy who tried 'em out; it wasn't for him, but he left with a lasting respect...

The English Carthusian Martyrs

Nice essay on the architecture of a charterhouse found at this superb site..

A few links to short devotional photo essays..

THE LANGLEY SCHOOLS MUSIC PROJECT (thanks, Chelsea!)

Chelsea commented on yesterday's music education post, asking if I'd heard of this; well, only in the vaguest sense, but I looked it up and found this great site , which has several .mp3 downloads, as well as loads of info ,on this remarkable group of recordings of rural Canadian schoolkids singing '60's and '70's pop classics. Believe me, much better than my brief description indicates! Also, found a review here..

WHAT IS IT WITH OPERA HOUSE SITES?

Wanted to do a post on famous ones, but the official sites for both La Scala and the Sydney Opera House were so poorly designed, overladen, bombastic, and 'user unfriendly', that I refuse to even link to them! However, I did find a halfway decent Australian Government Site for the Sydney Opera House..

FUN ONLINE GAME

Flysui

TWO BRITISH SHIPS

The Mary Rose

HMS Victory

OUTSTANDING FILM SITE

Strictly Film School will give you an education, all by itself, in the masters of cinema..

10 ADS AMERICA WON'T SEE

..unless they go here..

LUBECK DANCE OF DEATH

All it about it here also in Danish. And no, I'm not even going to try to put the dots above the "u". Let it suffice that I know they belong there!

IRANIAN EARTHQUAKE

My sympathies to the Iranian people, on this terrible disaster.. I urge all who are in a postion to help the relief efforts, financially or otherwise, to do so. here's a few photos of this remarkable city before the quake..

FANTASY ART, ETC

Nice bunch of galleries, many with "Middle Earth" themes, here..


"Every man wishes to be wise, and they who cannot be wise are almost always cunning."
Samuel Johnson

Powered by Blogger