Extreme Web Surfs!
Sunday, November 30, 2003
 
CLASSICAL COMPOSERS

A superb database here..

BRITISH FOOD

Notice I don't say 'cuisine' - no, you'll find only redblooded British stuff here , stuff like roasts and bacon and jellied eels..

I particularly think the cheese section is well done..

AMERICAN ARCHITECTURE

A great database for it here

And, a Rhode Island site that brings warms my post-industrial heart, Art in Ruins. Devoted to decaying mill buildings, which dot my daily landscape as windmills might mark Maartens...

SPEAKING OF RHODE ISLAND...

A few sites on the history of my native state. Founded and populated by rebels booted out of nearby Massachusetts by the contentious Puritans, Rhode Island was known as "Rogue's Island". A haven of smugglers, freethinkers, emancipated women, and people who dared treat Indians like human beings. And (gasp!) even Jews..

Read this radical proposition from our founder, Roger Williams

Touro Synagogue , first Jewish congregation in America..

And, Samuel Slater, who brought the Industrial Revolution to America, in my hometown.


Yes, short list tonight, I'm a bit tired. If you crave more, visit Maarten's Blog, which henceforth will be permanently linked (at the right) for your delight and edification..

"Curiosity is, in great and generous minds, the first passion and the last."

Samuel Johnson





Powered by Blogger